Cultural Competency for Health Care Professionals
NEW - Quality Interactions for All Health Care Professionals
Quality Interactions® for Health Care Professionals is a cultural competency training based on the idea that individuals themselves are your best source of information about their cultural perspectives.
The learning objectives for this program include the following:
- Respect and value cultural diversity
- Communicate clearly in cross-cultural interactions
- Understand and explore cultural differences
- Effectively engage an individual in a cross-cultural interaction
Why is cultural competence important for all health care professionals in health related fields?
Whether you are an administrator at a major healthcare organization, office manager, customer service representative or lab technician, it is important to recognize the importance of addressing diversity in healthcare and to learn an effective way for communicating effectively in cross-cultural encounters. The first impression made in a healthcare setting can have a lasting impact on patients, customers, or coworkers. For example, a first impression may determine whether a patient will continue service with an organization. Therefore, it is important for all personnel within a healthcare organization to learn the essentials of cultural competence.
Many people think of "cultural competence" as learning as much as you can about specific cultures. This may include information about the attitudes, values, beliefs, and behaviors of certain cultural groups. While some knowledge about cultural groups is important, relying too much on this approach may lead to stereotyping and oversimplification of culture, without a respect for its complexity. Our approach to cultural competence recognizes these challenges. It teaches a model for respecting and understanding diversity and important cross-cultural issues, while interacting with and learning about each person as an individual.
This course is divided into five major components:
- Introduction: Provides an overview of the key concepts of cross-cultural communication and summarizes the ResCUE™ approach to cultural competence.
- Cultural Competence Q&A: Provides an interactive overview of the business, medical, and legal reasons why cultural competency is important in health care.
- ResCUE™ Approach: Teaches guidelines for interacting effectively in cross-cultural encounters.
- Interactive Cases: Provides learners an opportunity to test their knowledge and skills in simulated cross-cultural interactions.
- Evaluation: Provides learners an opportunity to give feedback on the program and think about how they will apply the skills learned in their every-day work.
Here is a preview of our Nonclinical modules: